San Gregorio History

Ten miles south of Half Moon Bay is San Gregorio Beach. White sand, protecting cliffs, and a warmish lagoon create a pleasant spot for picnicking and beachcombing. One mile east on Highway 84 is the town of San Gregorio (population 150) that’s famous chiefly for its extraordinary store, built in 1889. Kerosene lanterns, saddles, a surprisingly serious book section, home-baked goodies, live music, and a cowboy bar satisfy a wide spectrum of needs. Of late, the town has become a favorite location for film companies seeking “funky historical” backdrops.

In the 1850s, the San Gregorio House hosted prominent San Franciscans who traveled the long distance by stage to enjoy first class trout fishing, hunting, sea bathing, and boat races. The building still stands, but no longer functions as a hotel.

Photo by Kevin Henney