What is a Chamber of Commerce? According to Wikipedia, a chamber of commerce is "a form of business network, for example, a local organization of businesses whose goal is to further the interests of businesses. Business owners in towns and cities form these local societies to advocate on behalf of the business community. Local businesses are members, and they elect a board of directors or executive council to set policy for the chamber. The board or council then hires a President, CEO or Executive Director, plus staffing appropriate to size, to run the organization."
About the Chamber
The Chamber of Commerce and Visitors’ Bureau is a partnership of community and business professionals working together to strengthen a sustainable socio-economic climate in our unique Coastside community. This membership organization builds business relationships and represents the interests of business and community with government. Our office hours are Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm (closed for Lunch 12pm – 1pm) and Saturday – Sunday: 10am – 3pm.
The Half Moon Bay area coastside boasts 30,000 residents and the Chamber proudly serves nearly 700 members. The Chamber strives to improve the public’s awareness of the diversity of businesses available on the coast through publications, this website and various media outreach. With the numerous campaigns, locals are now realizing the importance of investing their dollar on this side of the hill.
The Chamber works constantly to create a strong local economy, promote the community, provide networking opportunities, represent the interests of business with government and encourage a sustainable future.
Creating a Strong Local Economy
- Quarterly Coastside Business Connection newsletter and weekly email updates giving you valuable tools to run your business
- Half Moon Bay Coastside Business Directory distributed to every household and business on the coast
- National PR and advertising campaigns funded by the Half Moon Bay Business Improvement District (BID)
- Online member Business Directory utilized by an average of 5,000 potential customers per month
- Founded the Coastside Shuttle, providing annual transportation to ridership of 97,340
- Collaborates with San Mateo County Convention & Visitors Bureau, California Travel and Tourism Commission, California Travel Industry Association and International Ecotourism Society
Promoting the Community
- Full color Coastside/365 Magazine distributed to 20,000 visitors annually
- Produce the official Half Moon Bay Coastside Street Map, highlighting Chamber members
- Work to improve the quality of life by supporting non-profit partners
Building Business Relationships
- Over 100 direct referrals daily to members
- Numerous networking opportunities including, but not limited to Network @ Night mixer events
- Engaged in social media platforms: Facebook and Twitter, for online networking 24/7
- Seminars and workshops to improve business practices and provide networking opportunities
- Chamber committee participation helps make lasting networking connections
Representing the Interest of Business with Government/Political Action
- An active liaison between members and the city, county or state to support their interests
- Legislative reports to keep businesses informed of legislation
- Governmental Affairs Committee meets with the mission of keeping businesses informed of laws and legislation that will directly affect them
- Offers labor law compliance products to members at a discounted rate
- Advocates positions on bills that are beneficial or detrimental to protect local businesses and the quality of life on the Coastside
Encouraging a Sustainable Future
- Created and nationally promotes the Half Moon Bay California Coastside Ecotourism Program encouraging responsible tourism
- Encourages and facilitates a Disaster Preparedness Plan for the entire Half Moon Bay coast
- Helps facilitate the Green Certification Process with the city and county
- Scholarship and educational funding available through the Chamber 501(c)3 foundation
Mission, Vision & Core Competencies
Chamber Mission: To lead collaboration for a successful and sustainable Coastside Community
Chamber Vision: Insure that the Coastside Community is positioned as a premiere location for people to live, work, and raise families.
- Advocate For A Strong Local Economy
- Build Business And Community Relationships
- Promote The Coastside Community
- Represent The Interests Of Business With Government
- Encourage A Sustainable Future