There are many options for biking trails, cycle paths and hiking by the Pacific Ocean and in the hills surrounding the Half Moon Bay Coastside.
Bike Trails & Cycle Paths
Half Moon Bay Coastside Trail
Half Moon Bay State Park’s Coastside Trail runs parallel to the Pacific Coast Highway along what used to be the Ocean Shore Railroad. There are sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, access to beaches, and stunning views of nature from Pillar Point Harbor to south of Half Moon Bay.
Old San Pedro Mountain
This trail is a fire road that climbs up Montara Mountain all the way to Pacifica. Mountain bikes are necessary.
Half Moon Bay to Davenport Back roads
This bike trail starts at Purisima Creek Road off Highway 1 near Eel Rock and runs south for miles.
There are too many places for touring and cycling the Coastside to list them all, 3 others include:
• The road through the hills from San Gregorio to Pescadero,
• Purisima Redwood Park Trail running from Skyline Blvd to Highway 1, and
• Biking around the small towns of Pescadero, Half Moon Bay, El Granada, Moss Beach, and Montara.
Spending the weekend or longer, you can ride many of these trails, staying in one of our Bed & Breakfast Inns, Hotels, or Motels. You can find all the lodging locations and their availability at our Lodging Page.
Great Places to Hike
Hiking and walking trails include sandy ocean beaches & walking through old ranch lands. There are many mountain trails up and down the Coastal Corridor, some pass through pristine redwood groves like this area at Butano State Park.
Here is a list of some of the more popular trails for hiking in Half Moon Bay & for Coastside walking trails..
• Gray Whale Cove Trail, McNee Ranch State Park at Montara
• Mills Creek Ranch Road, Burleigh Murray State Park
• Coastside Trail, Half Moon Bay
• Cowell-Purisima Trail, south of Half Moon Bay
• Butano State Park, Pescadero
• Audubon Trail, Pescadero Marsh Natural Preserve
• Bean Hollow Beach Trail, Bean Hollow State Beach
• Año Nuevo Point Trail, Año Nuevo State Reserve south of Half Moon Bay
These walking & hiking trails in Half Moon and others around the San Mateo County Coastside are listed here with links to more information.
Use our Book A Room feature to find all available rooms for a longer stay on the Coastside.